A key element of our work is our active and continuous public engagement programme which reaches all levels of our community. The main aims of this programme are to:
- increase public understanding and awareness of issues relating to homeless people and others with complex needs in our community.
- reduce fear and prejudice against homeless and marginalised adults in our community.
- reduce hostility and aggressive acts against homeless and marginalised adults – particularly from gangs of young people.
- increase social inclusion and improve community safety for the benefit of the whole community
- maintain a high and positive profile for Doorway and increase local ‘ownership’ and commitment to support the organisation.
“Working at Doorway is a delight. We all work together as a team to make a difference in the community so that guests can feel loved and accepted” Doorway Volunteer
We will do this by means of:
- our comprehensive and accessible website, which receives several thousand unique hits per month.
- a high degree of search engine optimisation, thereby ensuring that we are easily found on the Internet.
- our dynamic PR and marketing programme, which attracts regular positive media coverage.
- maximum use of networking opportunities in business, voluntary, Church and statutory sectors.
- raising awareness amongst young people in schools and colleges by contributing to modules on homelessness issues as part of the National Curriculum.
- giving talks to a diverse range of groups within the community.
- organising major events each year, which generate publicity and support for our work.